Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Forward

In the summer of 2007, while going through some family mementos with my brother, Kevin, and my sister, Jessica, we happened upon a folder with one simple word in my mother’s handwriting, “Manuscripts” tucked in with all of our school papers, health records, and old Christmas cards.

It literally took my breath away to open the folder and see a delicately typed page with the words “Slices Of Life” typed, and under them, the byline with my mother’s name, Diane Jenkins Jersey. I had no idea that my mother had been working on a book! Without telling my siblings of my plans, I decided right there and then to make my mother’s dream a reality, and publish her book.

It’s been a beautiful and touching journey to read the words of my mother, some of them in her own writing, about her perspective on our family’s life. “Slices of Life” she called them. She wrote stories about all the different stages of her life, in a way that only she could have. It has been such a gift to get to know my mother better, and to fall in love with her all over again. I hope you love them, and her, as much as I do.

- Jeannine Michele Jersey, proud daughter

2 comments:

carla ten eyck said...

Jeannine- Wow, I had no idea we had so much in common. I lost my Mom 2 years ago this coming February after a long illness. I have been unearthing her journals and getting to know a side of her that I never knew. It is a very melancholy journey!

Let's sign up for our next 5K together soon...

Jeannine Jersey Bailey said...

wow! as my friend nancy always says, "this is not a club i wanted to be in...", but there's more of us than i ever realized. the more i talk about it or write about it, the more i find people that have gone through something similar.

i am so sorry to hear about your mom...