Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sticks and Stones and Broken Bones

One of the more difficult parts of being a parent is trying to maintain your composure when your children get hurt. You want to sympathize and make them feel better, but you don’t want to make such a big deal out of it that they fall to pieces with every little bump or bruise. Children react differently to pain, though, just as adults do.

With Kevin was 2 ½ he fell and broke his leg. We rushed him to the hospital. He was whimpering like a little puppy, so we figured it couldn’t be badly broken. Much to our surprise, it was severely broken and required him to be in the hospital in traction for a month, then in a big cast for 2 more months. His tolerance for pain during this time was remarkable.

Several years later, both Jeannine and Kevin had their adenoids surgically removed. We had visited the hospital before the surgery and talked about what the operation would be like. Both children appeared confident as they were wheeled off to the operating room. However, when Jeannine returned she was kicking and screaming, “How could you do this to me? I’ve never been in so much pain in my life!” Kevin was placid by comparison, whispering, “My throat hurts and I’m gonna throw up.” Different thresholds for pain, different reactions to the anesthesia or just different personalities?

Jessica mastered riding a two wheeled bike quickly when she was five. One evening shortly thereafter, she took a spill and landed head first in the street. I ran to her and she was crying like crazy. Contrary to proper first aid procedures, I scooped her into my arms. We could seem to get her calmed down, even though we applied ice to the bump on her head. I took her inside to give her some Tylenol. She shrieked, “I’m blind, Mommy!” My blood froze. As my husband and I rushed her to the hospital, her sight returned and we were relieved to learn she had only a mild concussion. The next day she was anxious to get back on her bike. Kids are so resilient!
As I look back, I think we responded with appropriate concern, compassion and first aid, in each case, even though we felt like falling to pieces ourselves inside. The power of prayer is phenomenal!

No comments: