Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lighten Up

January 22, 1985

Neighbors
Woman’s Day
1515 Broadway
New York, New York 10036

Dear Editor,

I was having a difficult time getting my eight year old daughter to practice her piano lessons daily. I cajoled, pleaded, and coaxed, all to little avail. One Monday evening, I decided to “lighten up”. I had two brass candlesticks on a table next to the piano, which I ceremoniously lit at the beginning of practice time. When my daughter was finished, she was allowed to blow the candles out. She enthusiastically practiced that night and we decided to make this a Monday night tradition. We may burn up a lot of candles, but oh, what sweet music comes to my ears in place of arguments!

Sincerely,

Diane Jersey
947 Aqua Court
Annapolis, Maryland 21401

No comments: